Monday, January 21, 2013

First You Have to Dream


Three years ago, our family of 8 gave up our busy lifestyle in the Atlanta suburbs to farm a little piece of land in North Carolina. People often ask how they can make this work in real life. How do you cut the cord and live simply? 

First you have to dream. I remember telling my husband, "I'm going to drink out of a Mason jar every day until we live on a farm." But I had to find a Mason jar! Today I have jars stacked in all my cabinets, under my bed and on top of the lovely fridge we keep on the side porch. Oh yeah, that is not a joke!

Who cares if people think your dreams are crazy? Which leads me to my second point....You can't care what people think. You aren't living for them. So decide just how simply you want to start and go for it. You can simplify anywhere. Eat less. Use less. Go out less. Sign up for less. Say yes less.

You have to say no to a lot of good things if you want to have time to say yes to a few great things. Let simplicity rewrite your list of priorities. In the words of Andy Stanley, "Your time is limited. So limit how you will spend your time."

This a small start. But I believe simplifying your life starts with a pencil in your hand and a dream in your heart. So get in a quiet place and make a list. What do you want to prioritize? Tomorrow I will talk about family. That's who will really benefit when you start to simplify. You will find that you have more time for them. And they will love you for it!

No comments: