Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Start With An Apron



It all started with an apron. I longed for the simplicity of farm living and for me an apron was a tactile symbol of the life I wanted. My inner city friend was my inspiration. She lived in a crowded neighborhood of downtown Atlanta. Yet she baked, sewed, canned and even had chickens. And...she always wore an apron. Though I felt being as crafty as Amy was not within my reach, I could tie up the apron strings. And so I did. With it came that feeling I guess Flylady gets each morning when she laces up her shoes. I was doing something that took me into the mystique of where I wanted to be. Having no idea farmlife was in my not-so-distant future, I began changing what I could. And though friends thought I was just old-fashioned, I wore an apron everyday.

Now that I am living my dream, my aprons mean even more to me. I don't always know what I'm doing around the farm. And that's okay. Learning as I go makes it fun. Looking back I realize I could have made more small changes that would have incorporated farmlife into suburbia. So I want to ask: What life do you wish you were living? Do yo wish you could stay home with your kids? Homeschool? Change the world? Pick one thing about that lifestyle and start doing it today. Soon you will find that you are making more changes. You will feel more connected to what you are passionate about. What is your apron?

4 comments:

Tiffany Thompson said...

I have been so inspired by your updates! I love reading about what you are doing and seeing the pics that go along with that. I have started a small garden in my back yard and started the change in a few other areas as well. I am inspired every time I read your posts. I am going to get my apron and put it on now! Thanks for being such an inspiration for the "simple life", and keep it coming, girl! Maybe one day, Brandon and I can get up there for a visit. I would love to see and touch everything first hand...

Stephanie Breuner said...

Thanks for the encouragement about making small changes! So, how many aprons do you have now?

Amy said...

Well said. Thanks for the kind words. Glad I could inspire you :)

Jamie Stephens said...

Love it! I am going to wonder and ponder more deeply over my true "aprons" and then start making the small changes.