Sunday, December 21, 2008

The Angel's Candle

I am running behind on these Advent posts. But I generally don't have my thoughts formulated til after we have reflected on the week's readings. Week three focuses on the announcements made by the angels. There was the announcement of the end of infertility to Zechariah, the glorious one to Mary, the reassuring one to Joseph and of course the multitude of angels appearing to the shepherds. There's a really great perspective on Zechariah in Watch For the Light. It's the December 13th reading, written by Karl Barth.

Our family discussion this week centered around how our lives announce Christ to the people around us. We are the hands and feet of Jesus to each other, to the children in need with whom we shared our gifts with this year, and everybody inbetween. We reminded each other that we even announce Christ to those we don't know who observe how we treat each other in public. Do we show kindness in our speech and actions? Are we helpful to one another or annoyed by interruptions?

My hope is that we are loving and patient. My desire is that we will portray family life as the treasure it is. May the end result be our tiny group of six announcing to the world that the love of Christ is a tangible thing.

2 comments:

Danny said...

That's a worthy goal, my love. Our six can change the world.

Candy Pearson said...

I really really really hope I can be as amazing a mom one day as you are. I am in awe of you and your family and you all have blessed us more than you will ever know.